Continuing Education Requirements
To complete the continuing education requirements as outlined in Title 16, California Code of Regulations, Sections 1016 and 1017 for renewal of a license or permit, the following conditions must be met:
- The provider offering the courses must be a Continuing Education (CE) Registered Provider licensed by the Board, or a provider approved by the American Dental Association’s Continuing Education Recognition Program (CERP) or the Academy of General Dentistry’s Program Approval for Continuing Education (PACE). Each individual course is not approved by the Board.
- Completion of the mandatory courses:
- 1. Basic Life Support (BLS) course provided by the American Red Cross (ARC), American Heart Association (AHA), or a provider approved by PACE or CERP. A maximum of 4 credits will be awarded for completion of this course.
- Online courses will not be accepted for the BLS requirement. The course must include a live, in-person skills practice session, a skills test and a written examination.
- 2. California Infection Control* – This course must be 2-units and be taken through a Registered Provider approved by the Board to offer this mandatory course.
- 3. California Dental Practice Act* – This course must be 2-units and be taken through a Registered Provider approved by the Board to offer this mandatory course.
* In order for the mandatory course certificates to be accepted by the Board, you must ensure that you have taken the course from an approved mandatory course provider. To identify if a provider is approved to teach the mandatory courses, please see the section titled, Mandatory Course Provider Lookup.
- No more than 50% of the total required units may be taken as non-live or correspondence courses.
- Interactive courses such as live video conferencing, live webinar, live lecture and live workshop demonstrations may be considered as a live course.
- No more than eight (8) units per day can be applied to the total unit requirement.
- Licensees are required to retain certificates of course completion that were issued to him/her at the time he/she attended a continuing education course for a period of three (3) renewal periods.
- Dental licensees renewing for the first time are exempt from continuing education requirements.